1 kg pork belly
1 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon five spice powder
2 pcs "nam yu"
Some coarse salt
Some white vinegar
1. Rub the pork belly meat evenly with the salt, five spice powder and the "nam yu". You can slit a few score about 2 cm deep on the meat so it can absorb the seasonings better.
2. Then, brush the pork belly skin with the white vinegar.
3. Chill the pork belly with the skin facing upwards in the fridge for overnight.
4. Place the pork belly on the oven rack with the skin facing upwards. Cover the pork belly skin with coarse salt. Fill a tray with water and place it underneath the pork belly to catch the dripping oil.
5. Roast the pork belly for about 30 minutes at 220 degrees and then take it out from the oven. Remove the coarse salt at top of the skin and then use a fork to poke some holes on the pork belly skin.
6. Put the pork belly back to the oven and continue to roast the pork belly until you see the skin turn brown and crispy. Do fill the tray underneath the rack with water whenever the water dries up.
7. Once done, remove from oven and leave to cool before cut into pieces.